Author: Claire Baum
Earlier this month, Ithaca’s tourism website read, “That’s it. We surrender. Winter, you win. Key West anyone?” And you know what? They’re probably right. Unfortunately, Cornellians don’t exactly have this option amidst prelim season. So I’m here with a list of 15 ways we can make Ithaca winters suck a little bit less.
1. I’m not saying you should sled down Libe Slope or anything, but sledding is generally a first-choice activity here in Ithaca. We’ll just have to make do in the absence of dining hall trays.
2. Trivia at The Nines, anyone? It may be cold outside, but The Nines has warm pizza, good beer, and is conveniently located in Collegetown.
3. Trade that froyo for hot cocoa. Gather the gang and compare Stellas’ and CTB’s hot beverages.
4. Go skiing at Greek Peak. Believe it or not, Cornell actually offers a PE class on skiing. If you can’t beat the cold, you might as well join it.
6. And for the non-skiers out there don’t worry – there are other snow sports as well. For $20, you can go snow tubing at Greek Peak for two hours.
7. Complain about the cold. A 2009 NeuroReport study demonstrated that when people curse in cold weather, they report feeling less pain.
8. Go ice skating at Lynah Rink. There is public skating at the rink on Mondays through Thursdays from 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. Admission is just $3 and skate rentals are an extra $2, although you’re welcome to bring your own.
9. For anyone who misses jogging outside in the warm weather, Barton Hall offers open track hours most week nights after 7:00 p.m. (exceptions for concerts and other university-supported events).
10. For the culturally-inclined: the Johnson Museum and the Museum of the Earth are wonderful local resources.
11. Take a Chocolate Tour! Yes, it’s a thing. Life’s So Sweet Chocolates, Ithaca’s local chocolatier, offers tours at pre-scheduled times for $15 per person.
12. Climb to the top of McGraw tower and appreciate our beautiful, snow-covered campus.
13. Movie night is the best kind of night. Check out the movies playing at Cornell Cinema or venture to the Commons to see whichever indie film is playing at Cinemapolis. Mmm, popcorn…
14. Want a good laugh? Go to a comedy show by the Skitzophrenics, Whistling Shrimp, Humor Us, or PBNQ.
15. Hockey season might have passed, but there are plenty of other sports still in season. Be sure to check out Cornell’s lacrosse team this spring!