After an impressive demonstration against the US development team, the Big Red men’s hockey team was at it again, taking on Brock University at Lynah Rink Saturday night. In the finale of its exhibitions, Cornell and Brock were knotted at the end of regulation and battled to a 2-2 tie in overtime.

Andy Isles was tested early with several Brock shots on goal before a powerpay resulted in a goal for the visitors that propelled Brock to a quick lead. Tensions ran high and play was physical, with several penalties and ample contact in the first period and throughout the game.

The Big Red got their first good look with powerplay just after the midway point of the period. Much to the dismay of the Parents Weekend crowd, what appeared to be a goal by senior forward Greg Miller was called back. Cornell collected itself, however, and Braden Birch scored off the crossbar, evening the game.

With the score tied, the penalties kept coming and the play intensified. Minutes after the first Red goal, John Esposito gave the Cornell the lead, scoring off of a tight pass by Greg Miller. The Big Red seemed to be in a rhythm as time expired in the period.

When play resumed in the second, Brock wasted no time in finding the net and evened the score when Jason Andrews shot the puck past Isles. It would be the last goal scored on the day. The game was tied 2-2 at the end of regulation, and Cornell played hard in the overtime period, outshooting Brock and having several near misses, though none found the back of the net.

In a very active contest, Cornell dominated Brock in shots on goal, taking 34 to Brock’s 22. Andy Isles was strong as always in the net for the Big Red and the rotations looked good. While Cornell did not convert late opportunities, the exhibition was very promising and the team is anxious to get to work as the season gets underway.

The Big Red will open the regular season with a series against Colorado College, before ECAC conference play begins.


Cornell University goalie Andy Iles makes a pad save as Brock University's Sean Jones tries to work his way past Cornell's Reece Willcox during the second period of their game Saturday evening at Lynah Rink.

Photo of Andy Isles from Ithaca Journal gallery by Simon Wheeler.